Our Commitment to Our Audiences
A Fully Vaccinated House
Our top priority is the safety of the Met audiences, artists, orchestra, chorus, and staff. In consultation with medical and public health experts, the Met will be implementing a mandatory vaccination policy for audiences, who will be asked to show proof of vaccination upon arrival at the Met. All artists, orchestra, chorus, and staff will have to do the same. In compliance with the CDC guidelines for fully vaccinated individuals, the audience will be at full capacity.
All audience members must wear face masks at all times inside the Met, except when eating or drinking in designated areas.
- All audience members must be fully vaccinated. You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after you have received a second dose in a two-dose vaccine series or two weeks after you have received a single-dose vaccine.
- The Met will need to see proof of vaccination against Covid-19 with a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or by the World Health Organization (WHO):
° Pfizer / BioNtech Comirnaty
° Johnson & Johnson / Janssen
- All audience members must provide in-person verification of vaccination. Prior to entering the Met, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination through the CLEAR app (if available to you), the Excelsior Pass (for New York State residents), the NYC COVID Safe app (for New York City residents), an EU Digital COVID Certificate, or an original CDC or internationally recognized physical vaccination record or photograph of it. If using Excelsior Pass, NYC COVID Safe app, or a vaccination card, you must present photo ID along with your vaccine proof. Trained individuals will review your proof of vaccination as you arrive at the Met. Learn more about vaccination verification options accepted by the Met here.
- The risk of contracting COVID-19 and other contagious diseases exists in any public space. To purchase a ticket and enter into the Met, all visitors are required to read and accept the COVID-19 Liability Waiver. A copy of the full waiver can be found here.
- Vaccines are now available for children ages 5–11, and fully vaccinated children are welcome at the Met two weeks after they have received their final dose. Photo ID for children under 12 will not be required as long as they are accompanied by parents/guardians with valid photo ID.
Ensuring Your Safety
The Met has made a number of changes to make sure the opera house is as safe and welcoming as possible when we reopen. As health and safety conditions and recommendations change we will update our policies accordingly and keep our audiences informed.
- During the closure period, we have completed work to confirm that our air systems comply with city, state, and national Covid safety standards. All HVAC systems have been evaluated by professional engineers to verify compliance with Covid safety guidelines.
- All bathrooms have been fitted with touchless fixtures.
- We have updated the entrance to the Met with four automatic doors.
- We have enhanced our cleaning procedures and will offer hand sanitizer throughout the Met.
- We will be offering e-tickets/contactless entry options.
- All ticket buyers will be sent a pre-performance email with specific health and safety protocols relating to the performance they are attending.
In recognition of the great uncertainty created by the current health situation, we have reviewed our ticket policies to make sure we are as flexible and accommodating as possible in the event you are unable to attend a performance. The 2021–22 ticket policy has been updated to include flexible exchanges for all ticket buyers, including single-ticket buyers. If you are unable to attend a performance for any reason, you will be eligible for a complimentary exchange into a future performance. Exchanges may be requested up until the performance curtain time, and ticket buyers will be asked to pay the difference in price should the replacement performance ticket price exceed that of the original ticket. To request an exchange, please call Met Customer Care at 212.362.6000. Please refer to our Contact Us page for detailed customer service hours.