Deputy Dance Director
Department: Artistic Department
Available: September 2021
The Deputy Dance Director is a member of the dance management team, who will use dance skills across a broad range of styles, as well as professional management skills to support all facets of dance at the internationally renowned Metropolitan Opera. They will provide artistic supervision to the Dance Department in conjunction with the Director of Actors and Dancers and the Dance Director, teach choreography and classes as required, and provide administrative support as required. The ideal candidate for this position will have at least 8 years of professional dance experience, be able to understand music, and coordinate the demands of a creative team.
- Study, learn, and document choreography for all productions in the Met’s repertoire.
- Assist the Dance Director with rehearsal planning and scheduling.
- Supervise rehearsals and performances.
- Prepare covers when needed to perform in rehearsals and performances in collaboration with the Dance Director.
- Assist and maintain movement and choreography for the chorus and principals in new productions and revivals.
- Instruct classes and warm-ups when required.
- Assist choreographers in rehearsals and communicate their needs to the Dance Department.
- Help to integrate the requirements of room and stage rehearsals with the Dance Department, Stage Directors, Stage Managers, and Creative Teams.
- Assist with auditions and casting of revivals. Learn, demonstrate, and teach choreography at all auditions as required.
- Work with Dance Department and Artistic Department on offers and contracts.
- Attend safety and scheduling meetings as required.
- Coordinate pointe and performance shoe administration with Dancers, Dance Department, Costumes, and Wardrobe.
- Support Director of Actors and Dancers with administrative duties, payroll, and scheduling.
- In conjunction with the Dance Director, provide information necessary to create the annual budget.
- Participate in providing orientations to new dancers.
- Knowledge of the AGMA/Met contract. Monitor proper execution and compliance.
Qualification and Skill Requirements:
- 8 - 10 years prior professional dance experience.
- Knowledge of and the ability to perform techniques of varying styles including Ballet, Contemporary, Tap, Flamenco, Ballroom and Folk.
- Ability to translate choreography from video.
- Ability to understand music.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- The Metropolitan Opera is a performance venue that requires employees working in the building to be fully vaccinated. Due to the nature of this role, you must be fully vaccinated at the time your employment is scheduled to start.
- Ability to work at a fast pace.
- Ability to perform well under stress.
- Ability to stand for a long period of time.
- Ability to teach choreography.
- Ability to coordinate the demands of a creative team.
Please follow this link to submit your application materials: https://form.jotform.com/200134406236139
Internal candidates should please contact the Human Resources department directly to apply.
The Metropolitan Opera believes that diversity is critical to our success and growth as a leading performing arts institution and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.