Available: October 2021
The Metropolitan Opera is seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented individual with a passion for opera and the arts to join our dedicated Artistic Administration team. The Artistic Assistant provides key support to both the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and Associate Artistic Administrator with supervision by the Manager of Artistic Administration. This individual is essential for facilitating all administrative needs, coordinating auditions, and assisting with daily artistic operations. The ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate high levels of emotional maturity and intelligence, as well as a developed sense of discretion and professionalism. We are looking for a trustworthy, capable, and skilled multi-tasker who is able to engage successfully in group initiatives, but also displays strong self-direction as needed to work independently.
Administration and Correspondence:
- Assist the Assistant General Manager, Artistic in coordinating the daily schedule and artistic operations.
- Manage all audition logistics, in cooperation with the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and Associate Artistic Administrator, including coordinating, scheduling and monitoring all principal singer auditions for the department.
- Maintain and update audition and performance databases.
- Act as primary touchpoint for phone calls to the department from managers, opera administrators and other colleagues, directing and fielding calls as appropriate.
- Track and report on any pending contracts, following up with internal administrators and external agents, as needed.
- Create, proof and distribute the annual internal casting document for each season.
Update Artistic Program Database – in cooperation with Artistic Associate:
- Update Artistic Program databases to reflect artist changes in management as well as manager changes to contract details, agencies and partnerships. Ensure all reporting and databases are up to date with most current information.
- Assist Associate Artist Administrator with various contracting tasks.
- Provide general administrative assistance for the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and the Associate Artistic Administrator, including scheduling meetings, auditions, making travel and hotel arrangements, and requesting tickets to performances in NYC and abroad.
- Track finances for the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and Associate Artistic Administrator, both forecasting budgets and reconciling expenses. Communicate as needed between the departments, payroll, and finance, ensuring expense reports are clear and accurate.
- Manage ticket requests from opera administrators and other colleagues.
- Serve as liaison with Special Events to plan and execute events and Board of Directors’ meetings that include guest artists and members of the Artistic Department.
- Assist other members of the Artistic Department as assigned by the Assistant General Manager, Artistic.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- BA degree or equivalent preferred.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
- 3-5 years prior experience as an Administrative Assistant preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of opera.
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a high-pressured environment.
- The Metropolitan Opera is a performance venue that requires employees working in the building to be fully vaccinated. Due to the nature of this role, you must be fully vaccinated at the time your employment is scheduled to start.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motion and to stand, walk, reach, bend.
- Occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
Please follow this link to submit your application materials: https://form.jotform.com/200134406236139
Internal candidates should please contact the Human Resources department directly to apply.
The Metropolitan Opera believes that diversity is critical to our success and growth as a leading performing arts institution and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.