The Metropolitan Opera Announces Chorus Auditions for the 2020 - 2021 Season
The Metropolitan Opera Chorus and Extra Chorus offer unique and rewarding career opportunities for highly qualified performers. Classically trained professional singers who have been invited to audition should be prepared to sing two operatic arias in different languages from memory. Selections should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to sing lyrically. An accompanist will be provided.
All qualified applicants will be considered for Full Time (Regular) and Extra Chorus positions for the Metropolitan Opera's 2020-2021 season.
Applicants shall submit via email addressed to ChorusAuditions@metopera.org the following materials:
- in the subject line of the email, please format: Last Name, First Name; Voice Type; AGMA or non-AGMA
- a cover letter requesting an audition; please indicate your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd audition session preferences from the dates below
- a current one-page resume and photo/headshot
- an audio clip (MP3 file, no larger than 10 MB) of an operatic aria (please no YouTube clips or links)
- a list of no more than 5 operatic arias, two of which will be selected as your audition pieces
Auditions will be granted by invitation only, and will be held at the following times:
- Session #1 Thursday, November 21st, 2019 3:00pm to 5:30pm
- Session #2 Tuesday, December 10th, 2019 3:30pm to 6:00pm
- Session #3 Thursday, January 9th, 2020 3:00pm to 6:00pm
- Session #4 Friday, February 7th, 2020 3:00pm to 5:30pm
Applications must be received on or before 12 midnight EST, Saturday, September 21st, 2019. Submissions received after this date, regardless of postmark or email transmission time, will not be considered. If a particular audition date is required, it is advisable to submit one’s application well in advance of the submission deadline.
THE MET DOES NOT PROVIDE SPONSORSHIP FOR EMPLOYMENT VISA STATUS. Any singer who is offered employment and is not already a member of AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists) will be required to join AGMA.
All applicants will be notified as to whether an audition has been granted. No audition comments will be shared with the applicant.
Similar information about the auditions may be found by contacting the following:
American Guild of Musical Artists
1430 Broadway 14th Floor
New York, NY 10018
The Metropolitan Opera
Donald Palumbo, Chorus Master
Daniel Hoy, Chorus Administrator
New York, NY 10023
The Metropolitan Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer