We are looking for a Wardrobe Supervisor to join the Metropolitan Opera’s wardrobe team, which helps to bring our opera productions to life.
This is a full-time position with guaranteed employment 49 weeks a year, including a five-week paid summer vacation period. During the 33-week opera season, the schedule is often 50+ hours per week, with frequent weekdays, evenings, weekends, and holidays required. During the off-season, the schedule is significantly lighter.
The terms and conditions of employment are governed by the Met’s collective bargaining agreement with Local 764.
The Wardrobe Supervisor will oversee the dressing area for male supernumeraries and dancers.
The right person for this role …
- has substantial dressing experience
- has prior experience supervising personnel, preferably in a union environment
- is an excellent written and verbal communicator and is technologically proficient
- consistently demonstrates poise and professionalism, even in fast-paced, high-pressure situations
- is able to work successfully with a variety of performers, crew members and personality types
- will champion the Met’s goal to foster a safe, respectful, and supportive working environment
- Supervising dressing staff, including scheduling and training dressers
- Coordinating with other wardrobe areas and production departments
- Attending staff meetings
- Overseeing daily maintenance of costumes, including laundry, dry cleaning prep, costume fittings and repairs
- Working performances, executing show cues and post-show and changeover duties, and developing dressing tracks
- Executing, organizing and disseminating wardrobe documentation, including notes, dressing tracks, size charts, etc.
- Packing for rentals and regular warehouse moves.
External candidates should apply here.
Internal candidates should please contact the Human Resources department directly to apply.