Available: September 2018 - Two-year position
We are looking for a Technical Assistant to join our Production Department for the next two years to provide support to the Technical Director with the development and documentation of technical details for new productions, the Met Opera repertory, presentations, and special events. The right person for this role will be an excellent communicator with outstanding organizational and communication skills who is seeking an opportunity to gain technical experience at a world-class performing arts organization. The Technical Assistant is an at-will employee position lasting up to two years.
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera oversees all production and technical details related to the development, creation, rehearsal, and performance of the opera repertory, presentations and special events, as well as the operation, maintenance, and improvements of the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses.
- Drafting support for assigned productions in accordance with Metropolitan Opera CAD standards.
- Production documentation support for assigned productions.
- Attend rehearsals, publish and distribute production notes for assigned productions.
- Maintaining and updating production books and drawings sets for assigned productions
- Maintaining pertinent or assigned production department documents
- Photograph and document the production process; including model, technical, lighting, costume, property, assembly, construction, rehearsal and performance images for assigned productions.
- Preparing technical documents for presentations and special events as assigned.
- Preparing technical documents for rentals of Metropolitan Opera productions as assigned. Giving building tours as required
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Technical Director
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- A terminal degree in Theater, Design, Engineering, Architecture, or equivalent professional experience is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical backstage operation is required.
- A solid fundamental knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, and rigging methods as well as knowledge of standard theatrical lighting techniques is essential.
- Experience with standard technical and theatrical drafting procedures is required.
- An ability to clearly communicate technical and artistic concepts in writing is essential.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize and evaluate solutions in three-dimensional space, are required.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as well as the ability to work on a team in a fast-paced, detail-oriented workplace.
- In-depth experience with one or more specialty fields (structural, mechanical or electrical engineering, theatrical lighting, scenic or costume design, welding, rigging, electronics, hydraulics, computer programming, architecture, music, project management, etc.) is desirable.
- Other useful skills include time and resource management, and the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Computer literacy is essential, including MS Office applications and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat.
- Computer Aided Drafting (Autodesk AutoCAD) experience is mandatory. Experience working in a 3D drafting environment is desirable. Understanding and exposure to various other CAD/CAM programs (Nemetschek Vectorworks, Bently Microstation) is also helpful.
- Computer aided rendering/visualization skills (Autodesk 3D Studio Max, Autodesk Maya, or similar) and/or solid modeling or digital prototyping skills (Autodesk Revit, Autodesk Inventor, Dassault SolidWorks, or similar) are a plus.
- Must be flexible, willing to help when asked.
- Ability to work well with all personality types.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Technical Assistant" in the subject line of your e-mail.