Stage Manager and Stage Director Fellowships
Available: August 2021
The Metropolitan Opera is eager to foster an inclusive workforce in the world of grand opera and has created a Fellowship Program, creating two new roles: Stage Manager Fellow and Stage Director Fellow. Each fellow will participate in the production of repertory opera at the highest level under the supervision of proven professionals. The fellow will be prepared to make a significant commitment to the program. These fellowships will begin approximately August 1, 2021, and last up to 33 weeks. The exact schedule will be established based on rehearsal and production schedules. This is a full-time paid opportunity with benefits.
With this fellowship, you will have the chance to:
- Hone necessary skills by being present for the challenging process of stage managing/stage directing both new and repertory productions.
- Practice problem solving through observation of:
- leaders in the field of opera stage managing and directing working through the production process.
- production meetings.
- multiple departments interacting in the course of the production.
- Cultivate a personal workflow to learn and prepare an opera production including:
- Creating important paperwork and working scores.
- Communicating changes and updates throughout the Met.
- Learning the intricacies of all facets of scheduling including:
- the intersection of multiple Union contracts.
- the needs of the artists.
- the challenges of repertory opera including space, time and personnel constraints.
- Each fellow will have the opportunity to spend a portion of the season observing colleagues in the alternate department, allowing for exposure to a broad selection of Stage Managers and Directors.
- Each fellow will be required to keep a regular written log of their experiences and their own responses to circumstances and review it with their supervisor in regular meetings.
- Each fellow will be encouraged to contribute their perspective of their day to day experiences.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- An established curiosity and enthusiasm for pursuing a career in theater, opera, or music.
- Must be able to work a variable schedule, including nights, weekends, with some weeks of work with hours up to 60 per week.
- Regular attendance and timeliness are essential to the success of this fellowship.
- Proficiency with basic computer programs; Music reading skills (beneficial but not required).
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motion and to stand, walk, reach, bend
- Occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Please submit your resume as an attachment, and in a separate attachment, a personal statement of up to 250 words that will tell the panelists something unique about you. As you will be spending quite a significant amount of time in this program, what would you like us to know about you before you start? Please indicate which position you are applying for.
- Materials should be emailed to email@example.com by March 18.