Department: Marketing & Communications
The Staff Writer acts as an integral member of the editorial team within the marketing department, and also plays an integral role in the creation of fundraising materials for the development department. This position is responsible for writing and editing effective and creative copy for a wide range of collateral, including, but not limited to, season brochures, print and online advertisements, e-blasts, the Met’s website, and a variety of development documents, including grant proposals and reports, solicitation letters, and event invitations. The ideal candidate must be able to craft a variety of messages aimed at different audiences, possess excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills, and display an advanced command of the English language. This person will possess knowledge of music, opera, and the performing arts in general and will be adept at multi-tasking and prioritization with an ability to maintain good humor and grace in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Write, proofread, and edit content for a variety of marketing materials, including season brochure; e-blasts; direct-mail pieces; website; and radio, TV, print and outdoor ads
- Write, proofread, and edit content for a variety of development materials, including grant proposals and reports, solicitation letters, and event invitations
- Understand how to talk about opera to a broader public as well as to knowledgeable opera-goers
- Collaborate with Met Opera Studio designers on creation of collateral
- Confidently juggle multiple deadlines and priorities for a wide range of projects, with great initiative and self-motivation
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Prior professional experience as a copywriter
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Must possess knowledge of music, opera, and the performing arts
- Previous experience in a not-for-profit arts organization a plus, especially related to fundraising communications
- Knowledge of other languages a plus
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Staff Writer” in the subject line of your e-mail.