Department: Media & Presentations
Available: January 2020
The Metropolitan Opera is seeking a Media Archivist to join the Media and Presentations Department. The Media Department produces 10 Live in HD transmissions per season of performances from the Met stage, distributing these performances across cinema, television, digital and commercial platforms. From the Live in HD series to the Saturday matinee radio broadcasts and the Met’s own digital service, Met Opera on Demand, the Media Department oversees the production, distribution, and preservation of the Met’s annual broadcasts and extensive catalogue of program assets dating back to the 1930s.
The Media Archivist will be responsible for the asset management of the complete media broadcast archives, preserving the Met’s media history and physical assets. This role will report directly to the Producers of Live in HD and Radio.
The ideal candidate will come with a background in music, specifically with a strong knowledge of opera, and will display an aptitude for organization, recall, and attention to detail. Experience with database management is a must, as well as the ability to work independently while adapting to requests throughout the department. This individual will have an editorial eye, ensuring accuracy in fact checking and proofing work.
- Responsible for the asset management of the Met media archive, consisting of approximately 2,000 broadcasts and related physical and digital masters and elements including:
- Research and implementation of management system and best practices for the archive and preservation of assets
- Logging and traffic of all assets as needed to serve department activities
- Supervise archive of assets with outside storage facilities and manage account relationship with facilities
- Creation of all system metadata for the storage and tracking of all assets, including repertoire, casting, performance information
- Administration of annual archive budget and invoicing
- Assessment of archive status including:
- Current software tools
- Preservation of physical assets
- Redundancy and possible reduction of physical assets
- Evaluation and establishment of information / logging protocols
- Duplication and labeling of screener DVDs and data discs for production needs Creation of all system meta data for the storage and tracking of all assets
- Responsible for researching and maintaining accurate records and metadata on the department’s broadcast history including all broadcast performance repertoire, dates, casts, and debut information.
- Prepare background information and facts for inclusion in the weekly radio broadcasts as directed/requested by the radio producers including performance and role history for cast members, composer/repertoire information and trivia
- Primary fact-checker / proof-reader for all broadcast scripts and the dissemination of broadcast information across multiple platforms
- Responsible for tracking cast change information and updating department documents to reflect accurate/currant information.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- BA degree or equivalent
- 10 years prior archive/library experience
- Must have experience as an archivist or librarian
- Must have a music background; knowledge of opera required
- Must be highly proficient in database / asset management systems
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Editorial experience a plus
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, including “Media Archivist” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Internal candidates should please contact the Human Resources department directly to apply.