Available: May 2021
The Metropolitan Opera is seeking a Mechanic who will operate, maintain, and adjust HVAC and plumbing equipment as well as perform related work. This position will ensure efficient and twenty-four-hour operation of all equipment and utilities for the Met’s Facilities operation. The Mechanic will work with the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer, Engineers, and other Mechanics as part of the team by repairing the life safety systems and other related building operations, including elevators. This position maintains and monitors all hot water, steam, utilities, pumps, compressors, air handlers, fire and life safety systems in order to provide a safe environment. The ideal candidate will have experience with plumbing including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (H.V.A.C.) systems and electrical systems and exhibit manual dexterity as well as the ability interpret plumbing, electrical, and mechanical blueprints.
- Operates, maintains and adjusts pumps, heat exchangers, fan motors, heating equipment, ventilating, air conditioning, fan coils, pneumatic controls, DDC controls, refrigeration, and associated equipment and plumbing
- Makes periodic inspections of equipment and repairs to such equipment
- Performs preventive maintenance
- May operate control consoles in Engineers office
- Reads and logs meters, gauges, and other recording devices
- Keep records and makes reports
- Routine building rounds
- Works with other trades (construction, electrical, outside elevator maintenance company) to ensure proper functionality of all equipment
Qualification and Skill Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of four years of general maintenance experience in plumbing including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (H.V.A.C.) systems and electrical systems
- Experience with shop tools, pipe threading, electric drills, rotary hammers, steam pressure reducing valve stations, etc.
- Ability to interpret plumbing, electrical, and mechanical blueprints
- Ability to exhibit manual dexterity and a working knowledge of all building, grounds, facilities and department work areas
- Must hold current or be capable of obtaining FDNY Certificates of Fitness: F-01 Fireguards; F-03 Indoor Place of Assembly; S-12 Citywide Sprinkler System; S-13 Citywide Standpipe System
- Must hold current or capable of obtaining FDNY Certificate of Qualification Q-01 Refrigerating System Operating Engineer
- Must hold or be capable of obtaining a membership card with Local 30
- Must be able to lift, push, and pull a minimum of 50 lbs. regularly, which includes lifting, pushing, and/or pulling equipment, supplies, and tools.
- Reasonable assistance may be required when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken that exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Must be able to bend and work in confined spaces, at elevated temperatures, and in tight spaces, as well as climb ladders and scaffolds.
- Must be able to work safely with hazardous materials.
- Required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evening and or overnight shifts as scheduled. May be required to work legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- The Mechanic is an essential position and must be available for all emergencies in all weather conditions. The Mechanic may be required to stay after workday to assist after an emergency situation until relief arrives.
Please follow this link to submit your application materials: https://form.jotform.com/200134406236139.
Internal candidates should please contact the Human Resources department directly to apply.
The Metropolitan Opera believes that diversity is critical to our success and growth as a leading performing arts institution and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.