Available: May 2019
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera oversees all production and technical details related to the development, creation, rehearsal, and performance of the opera repertory, presentations and special events, as well as the operation, maintenance, and improvements of the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses.
The Logistics and Warehousing Coordinator is an essential part of this process. Their primary responsibility is to manage the planning and execution of transportation and warehousing operations for the Metropolitan Opera repertory. The ideal candidate for this position will display high-level knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by air, rail, sea, or road, domestically and internationally, including the relative costs and benefits. This individual will excel in a fast-paced environment, display an ability to work with flexibility, and will be willing to help when asked. Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial as the role requires the facilitation of complex services, transport, and budgeting needs.
- Work with Technical Director and Department Heads to improve and manage in house storage, including the planning and implementation of improvements to logistics systems and policies.
- Direct inbound or outbound Production transportation and/or warehouse activities for domestic and international shipping of shared productions, i.e. rentals and co-productions
- Coordinate local transportation of scenery, props, costumes, etc. and create necessary documentation for logistics operations, e.g. inventories, carnets, load-in load-out condition reports, etc.
- Recommend transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency as well as explore and develop new methods and facilities for efficient transportation and safe storage of production materials
- Manage logistic services contracts, ensure trucking and warehousing firm’s compliance with company policies or procedures for production material transit, delivery, and storage.
- Resolve problems concerning transportation and/or warehousing, i.e. damaged containers, damaged goods, late deliveries, warehouse repairs, etc.
- Budget and track costume and scenery trucking and warehousing expenses, and develop and administer a Production inventory database and tracking system, to include, scenery, props, costumes, etc.
- Budget and manage teamster payroll, make teamster calls for load in/load out of scenery, props, costumes, etc.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in a related field
- Knowledge of commercial real estate market
- Demonstrated knowledge of inventory database management
- Fundamental knowledge of standard scenery/costume construction and handling preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in a related field.
- Operatic knowledge is useful
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements with "Logistics Coordinator" in the subject line to:
E-mail (Preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org