Available: September 2018
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera oversees all production and technical details related to the development, creation, rehearsal, and performance of the opera repertory, presentations and special events, as well as the operation, maintenance, and improvements of the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses.
The Logistics and Warehousing Coordinator is an essential part of this process. Their primary responsibility is to manage the planning and execution of transportation and warehousing operations for the Metropolitan Opera repertory
- Plan and implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems, facilities, procedures, and policies.
- Direct inbound or outbound Production transportation and/or warehouse activities for domestic and international shipping of shared productions, i.e. rentals and co-productions
- Coordinate local transportation of scenery, props, costumes, etc.
- Create necessary documentation for logistics operations, e.g. inventories, carnets, load-in load-out condition reports, etc.
- Work with Technical Director and Department Heads to improve and manage in house storage.
- Recommend transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency as well as explore and develop new methods and facilities for efficient transportation and safe storage of production materials
- Develop and administer a Production inventory database and tracking system, to include, scenery, props, costumes, etc.
- Manage logistic services contracts, ensure trucking and warehousing firm’s compliance with company policies or procedures for production material transit, delivery, and storage.
- Resolve problems concerning transportation and/or warehousing, i.e. damaged containers, damaged goods, late deliveries, warehouse repairs, etc.
- Budget and track costume and scenery trucking
- Budget and track warehousing expenses.
- Budget and manage teamster payroll, make teamster calls for load in/load out of scenery, props, costumes, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in a related field
- Knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by air, rail, sea, or road, domestically and internationally, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Knowledge of commercial real estate market
- Demonstrated knowledge of inventory database management
- Fundamental knowledge of standard scenery/costume construction and handling preferred
- Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial
- 5-7 years experience in a related field.
- Operatic knowledge is useful
- Must be flexible, willing to help when asked.
- Excel in a demanding fast paced environment.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements with "Logistics Coordinator" in the subject line to:
E-mail (Preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org