Human Resources Assistant
We are looking for a dynamic HR Assistant to join the Metropolitan Opera’s Human Resources-Payroll team. We serve approximately 3,000 employees who work both onstage and behind the scenes to bring our opera productions to life each season.
The Human Resources Assistant is the first point of contact for employees who visit or call the Human Resources department. The Human Resources Assistant helps employees with a variety of questions and concerns, facilitates the new hire paperwork process, enters and reviews personnel actions, maintains personnel files, and provides administrative and office manager support to the Director and the department as a whole.
The right person for this role is …
- an excellent written and verbal communicator with outstanding organizational and time management skills
- able to deliver top-notch service and support to a diverse employee population
- technologically savvy and adept at learning new programs and processes
- excited to work in a complex and fast-paced environment and in a department in which everyone “rolls up their sleeves” and assists with a variety of responsibilities
- Serve as receptionist for the department, answering phones and assisting employees who visit Human Resources with a variety of questions and concerns.
- Assist new hires with required paperwork, ensuring paperwork is completed appropriately. Ensure compliance with I-9 requirements and maintain knowledge of applicable rules and regulations regarding work authorization.
- Provide administrative support to Director of Human Resources/Labor Relations and others, as needed.
- Enter data related to new hires, personnel actions, and employee-initiated data changes.
- Review personnel action data entry for accuracy.
- Oversee all active, inactive and stored personnel files, including making new personnel files for employees, filling employee paperwork, and moving the location of files pursuant to HR’s record storage schedule.
- Open and distribute departmental mail and handle departmental billing.
- Prepare employment verification letters as requested.
- Participate in the preparation of mass in-house informational distributions and mailings to employees.
- Track stock of department supplies and order as needed.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
1-2 years related experience
Excellent oral and written communication skills - bi-lingual skills a plus
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; familiarity with other MS Office applications
Strong technological aptitude
Must be able to work well in a high-pressure/fast-paced environment
Must be able to deal with a variety of personality types with poise and professionalism
Must be able to learn and adapt to a changing work environment
Must be able to handle confidential information with the utmost discretion
Must be able to work successfully both independently and as part of a team
Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear
Frequently required to use repetitive hand motion and to stand, walk, reach, bend
- Occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, including “HR Assistant 2019" in the subject line of your e-mail.