Costume Department Administrative Associate
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of the opera repertory, the coordination of presentations and special events, the operation and maintenance of, as well as improvements to the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses. The Costume Administrative Associate is an essential part of this process, working with the Head Costumer to support the administration of Costume Shop operations.
- Responsible for weekly Costume Shop MPS payroll data collection and entry.
- Process all Costume Shop purchase orders, credit card bills, and petty cash reimbursement forms.
- Update purchasing database daily with expenditures.
- Cross check all invoices against expenditures listed, delineating those invoices as paid.
- Track completed buy cards in advance of their invoice arrival, working closely with each shows’ production assistant.
- Prepare a weekly materials “pipeline” expense report.
- Record and make calls for machine repairs, electrical maintenance and other Shop needs.
- Light administrative duties including answering office telephone, forwarding messages, keeping calendar record of daily absences and some occasional data entry in Show Inventories. Liaison with Loading dock and Costume Shop Stock Clerks when daily deliveries are made.
- Initiate and track Costume Department new-hire onboarding including HR trainings and orientation.
- Other assignments as needed.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- BA degree or equivalent.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Experienced in data entry and bookkeeping. Some Accounts Payable experience helpful.
- Computer skills including but not be limited to Excel, Word, and Photoshop. Ability to acquire new computer skills and master new data systems quickly.
- Some understanding/familiarity with costume construction.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must be flexible, willing to help when asked and to ask questions when needed.
- Successful candidate works well with others.
- Able to tolerate and concentrate in a high stress environment with some semblance of good humor while at the same time staying on task.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, including “Costume Department Administrative Associate” in the subject line of your e-mail.