The Metropolitan Opera is seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented individual with a passion for opera and the arts to join our dedicated Artistic Administration team. The Artistic Assistant provides key support to both the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and Associate Artistic Administrator. This individual is essential for facilitating all administrative needs, coordinating auditions, and assisting with daily artistic operations. The ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate high levels of emotional maturity and intelligence, as well as a developed sense of discretion and professionalism. We are looking for a trustworthy, capable, and skilled multi-tasker who is able to engage successfully in group initiatives, but also displays strong self-direction as needed to work independently.
Administration and Correspondence:
- Assist the Assistant General Manager, Artistic in coordinating the daily schedule and artistic operations.
- In cooperation with Associate Artistic Administrator, coordinate, schedule and monitor all non-mainstage screening auditions for the Artistic Department, including room reservations and set up needs
- Manage auditions including related internal communications and monitoring. Maintain and update audition and performance databases.
- Act as primary touchpoint for phone calls to the department from managers, opera administrators and other colleagues, directing and fielding calls as appropriate.
- Track and report on any pending contracts, following up with internal administrators and external agents, as needed.
Update Artistic Program – in cooperation with Artistic Associate:
- Update Artistic Program databases to reflect artist changes in management as well as manager changes to contract details, agencies and partnerships. Ensure all reporting and databases are up to date with most current information.
- Assist Associate Artist Administrator with various contracting tasks.
- Provide general administrative assistance for the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and the Associate Artistic Administrator, including scheduling meetings, auditions, making travel and hotel arrangements, and requesting tickets to performances in NYC and abroad.
- Track finances for the Assistant General Manager, Artistic and Associate Artistic Administrator, both forecasting budgets and reconciling expenses. Communicate as needed between the department, payroll, and finance, ensuring expense reports are clear and accurate.
- Manage ticket requests from opera administrators and other colleagues.
- Serve as liaison with Special Events to plan and execute events that include guest artists and members of the Artistic Department.
- Assist other members of the Artistic Department as assigned by the Assistant General Manager, Artistic.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
Education and/or Experience
- BA degree or equivalent preferred.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
- 3-5 years prior experience as an Administrative Assistant preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of opera.
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a high-pressured environment.
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Artistic Assistant” in subject line.
In the body of the email, please also provide answers to the following questions:
1. Why is this position interesting to you, and what makes you a strong candidate for it?
2. Choose five words or phrases to describe your ideal work environment.
3. Tell us about your experience with opera.
Internal Candidates should please contact Human Resources directly to apply.