2019-20 Eligibility Requirements
(para la Elegibilidad en Español, clic aquí)
Participation in the 2019-2020 Metropolitan Opera (Met) National Council Auditions is subject to the following governing regulations:
1) Applicants must be within the following ages:
20 – 30 years old for all voice types from August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2020
*PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR THE 2019-2020 SEASON, YOUR BIRTH DATE MUST FALL ON OR BETWEEN AUGUST 1, 1989 – AUGUST 1, 1999 IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE ELIGIBLE TO AUDITION
2) Past auditioners (except those who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semifinals) may re-enter District auditions as new applicants. Singers may enter a District audition only once per season. Former first place Region winners who have twice won first place Region awards are no longer eligible to compete.
3) Present or former singers on the Metropolitan Opera Roster, and current season members of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus, Extra Chorus or current full-time employees of the Metropolitan Opera staff are ineligible to audition.
4) Citizens of countries other than the United States (U.S.), Mexico, and Canada must show proof of residency for the audition season, or proof of full-time enrollment in a university or conservatory in the U.S., Mexico, or Canada before being permitted to enter a District audition. Applicants are solely responsible for securing visas to compete in all rounds of competition.
5) Applicants may enter any one District audition regardless of whether they are a resident of the area. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners.
6) An official pianist will be provided at no charge to the applicant. The applicant may provide his/her own pianist, if desired, at his/her own expense.
7) MONC Auditions prizes are paid by check. Prize winners will be required to complete any tax paperwork necessary, in the Met’s sole discretion, in order to claim their prizes. We are required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens. In most cases, prizes will not be available to contestants on the day of the competition.
8) The Metropolitan Opera National Council Grand Finals Concert may be broadcast over Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network or Sirius Satellite Radio. Contestants do not receive any compensation for their participation in such a competition or concert. AGMA has agreed to waive their usual payment requirements.
9) The purpose of District winner awards is to defray your costs of participating in the Region Finals. If you choose not to participate in your Region Finals, you may be asked to return your District audition prize money.
10) To be eligible to enter the auditions, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to the Metropolitan Opera National Council for the following:
a.) your respective District and Region audition dates;
b.) arrival in New York, NY on Friday, February 21, 2020 through the National Semifinals on Monday, February 24, 2020;
c.) preparation for the National Grand Finals Concert from Tuesday, February 25, 2020 through Sunday, March 1, 2020.
Participation in non-Met related professional engagements or competitions is not permitted during the times specified in a), b) and c) above, unless approved IN ADVANCE by the Executive Director of Auditions. Failure to receive advance approval for an unrelated engagement automatically DISQUALIFIES you from the National Semifinals and Finals.
11) By participating in the MONC Auditions, you consent to your name, image, and likeness being listed on the Met website and other Met materials, including for advertising fundraising and promotional purposes, without payment of additional compensation unless prohibited by law.
12) Any misrepresentation on the application will be cause for disqualification without benefit of appeal. All disqualifications are in the Met’s sole and absolute discretion and will require that prize money be returned.