2020-21 Eligibility Requirements
(para la Elegibilidad en Español, clic aquí)
PARTICIPATION IN THE METROPOLITAN OPERA NATIONAL COUNCIL (MONC) AUDITIONS IS SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING GOVERNING REGULATIONS:
1) Applicants must be 20 – 30 years old from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021. For the 2020-2021 season, your birthdate must fall on or between August 1, 1990 – August 1, 2000 to be eligible to audition.
2) Past auditioners may re-enter Qualifying auditions as new applicants. Auditioners who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semifinals are no longer eligible to compete. Current or former singers on the Metropolitan Opera Roster, and current season members of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus, Extra Chorus or current full-time employees of the Metropolitan Opera staff are ineligible to audition.
3) Auditions are open to citizens and lawful residents of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Citizens of countries other than the United States, Canada, and Mexico must show either proof of residency through May 31, 2021 or proof of full-time enrollment in a qualified educational institution, in one of these three countries before being permitted to enter a District audition. Applicants are solely responsible for securing visas to compete in all rounds of competition. MONC may hold any and all auditions and/or other aspects of the competitions by means of socially-distanced media like Zoom/Skype. If MONC so elects, you agree to participate therein and all the terms hereof will apply thereto; without limitation, you will follow all aspects of any instructions and requirements of MONC with respect thereto.
4) Applicants may apply to the competition once per season. Videos must be no more than 3 months old from date of submission to MONC and cannot be edited for sound or video enhancement. No pianist will be provided for the prerecorded Qualifying round. Videos can have prerecorded, live, or self-played piano; digital or app-based piano tracks are acceptable. Orchestral or instrumental accompaniment tracks will NOT be accepted.
5) Pre-recorded piano tracks are required for the livestreamed video District and Region Rounds. An official pianist will be provided to record backing tracks for the District and Region Rounds at no charge to the applicant. The applicant may provide their own pianist, if desired, at their own expense. Orchestral, instrumental, or self-played piano background tracks will not be accepted.
6) MONC Auditions prizes are paid by check. Prize winners will be required to complete any tax paperwork necessary, in the Met’s sole discretion, in order to claim their prizes. The Met is required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens. In most cases, prizes will not be available to contestants on the day of the competition.
7) A non-refundable application fee of $30.00 is required to participate in the District round. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners. The purpose of District winner awards is to defray costs of participating in the Region Finals. If you choose not to participate in your Region Finals, you may be asked to return your District audition prize money.
8) To be eligible to enter the auditions, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to MONC for the following times:
- your respective District and Region audition dates;
- Thursday, May 6, 2021 through the National Semifinals on Sunday, May 9, 2021;
- preparation for the National Grand Finals Concert from Monday, May 10, 2021 through Sunday, March 16, 2021.
Participation in non-MONC related professional engagements or competitions is not permitted during the times specified in a), b) and c) above, unless approved IN ADVANCE by MONC’s Executive Director of Auditions. Failure to receive advance approval for an unrelated engagement automatically DISQUALIFIES you from the National Semifinals and Finals.
9) By participating in the MONC Auditions, you grant The Metropolitan Opera the absolute right and permission to take, record, use, edit, and reuse your photographs, physical likeness, voice, name and/or biographical information in connection with your participation of the MONC Auditions for use in any media, worldwide, (including social media platforms), in perpetuity for any purpose whatsoever. You will have no right of approval or claim to compensation arising out of such use. In addition, you release The Metropolitan Opera and its agents and employees from all claims, demands, losses, and liabilities whatsoever that you may have now or in the future in connection with any photograph and/or recording embodying some or all of your voice, name, or likeness, or your participation in MONC Auditions, competitions or other events. Any of the audition rounds and other performances or appearances by you in connection with the MONC Auditions, competitions, concerts, or other events may be exploited by MONC and the Met by any means and media throughout the world in perpetuity, including by streaming, radio (including satellite radio), and all other means of audio and audiovisual distribution now or hereafter known, and may be used for MONC, Met and Toll Brothers (and other sponsors) promotional, fundraising and advertising purposes. Without limitation, the MONC Grand Finals Concert may be broadcast over Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network or Sirius Satellite Radio. Contestants do not receive any compensation for their participation in any recording of the MONC Auditions, competitions or concerts, or any exploitation of thereof as herein described, and by participating in the MONC Auditions, you waive any claims to any compensation. Your performance in any audio and audiovisual materials produced or created by MONC will be a work for hire for MONC and if for some reason same is not considered a work for hire, you assign to MONC all rights therein throughout the world in perpetuity.
10) The Metropolitan Opera may cancel, delay or otherwise modify any and all portions of the MONC Auditions in its sole discretion, including for reasons beyond its control such as epidemics, work stoppages, fires, war, government regulations, acts of terrorism, riots, rebellions, explosion, flood, storm, Acts of God and similar occurrences, and the Metropolitan Opera shall not be liable for any such cancellation, delay or other modification.
11) Any misrepresentation on the application will be cause for disqualification without benefit of appeal. All disqualifications are in the Met’s sole and absolute discretion and will require that prize money be returned.