2021-22 Eligibility Requirements
(para la Elegibilidad en Español, clic aquí)
PARTICIPATION IN THE METROPOLITAN OPERA LAFFONT COMPETITION IS SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING GOVERNING REGULATIONS:
1. Applicants must be 20 – 31 years old from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022. For the 2021-2022 season, your birthdate must fall on or between August 1, 1990 – August 1, 2001 to be eligible to audition. (This extended age range is in place for 2021-2022 season only.)
2. Applicants must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in advance of their first live audition. Applicants are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving a second dose in a two-dose vaccine series or two weeks after receiving a single-dose vaccine. The Metropolitan Opera (“Met”) will need to see proof of vaccination with a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or by the World Health Organization (WHO).
3. Past applicants may re-enter Qualifying auditions as new applicants. Applicants who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semifinals are no longer eligible to compete. Current or former singers on the Met’s roster, and current season members of the Met’s Chorus, Extra Chorus or current full-time employees of the Met are ineligible to audition.
4. Auditions are open to citizens and lawful residents of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Citizens of countries other than the United States, Canada, and Mexico must show either proof of residency through May 2, 2022 or proof of full-time enrollment in a qualified educational institution, in one of these three countries before being permitted to enter a District audition. Applicants are solely responsible for securing visas to compete in all rounds of competition.
5. The Met may elect to hold any and all auditions and/or other aspects of the Competition by means of remote video auditions, including through the Kiswe platform. If the Met so elects, applicants agree to participate in such remote video auditions and agree to follow all instructions and requirements of the Competition with respect thereto.
6. Applicants may apply to the Competition once per season and are required to submit 1-2 pre-recorded videos for the Qualifying round. Videos must be no more than 3 months old from date of submission to the Competition and cannot be edited for sound or video enhancement. No pianist will be provided for the prerecorded qualifying round. Videos can have prerecorded, live, or self-played piano; digital or app-based piano tracks are acceptable. Orchestral or instrumental accompaniment tracks will NOT be accepted.
7. An official pianist will be provided at all live audition rounds. Applicants may provide their own pianist, if desired, at their own expense. Orchestral, instrumental, or self-played piano background tracks will not be accepted. For planned District days via Kiswe, applicants must provide their own pianist. If a District round is changed to a digital video round, an official pianist will be provided to record backing tracks.
8. Competition prizes are paid by check. Prize winners will be required to complete all necessary tax paperwork, in the Met’s sole discretion, in order to claim their prizes. The Met is required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens. In most cases, prizes will not be available to contestants on the day of the competition.
9. A non-refundable application fee of $30.00 is required of applicants qualified to participate in the District round. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners. If applicants choose not to participate in the applicable Region Finals, they may be asked to return all District audition prize money
10. To be eligible to enter the Competition, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to the Competition during the following times:
a) your respective District and Region audition dates;
b) Wednesday, April 20, 2022 through the National Semifinals on Sunday, April 24, 2021; and
c) preparation for the Laffont Grand Finals Concert from Monday, April 25, 2022 through Sunday, May 1, 2022.
Participation in non-Competition related professional engagements or competitions is not permitted during the times specified in a), b) and c) above, unless approved IN ADVANCE in writing by the Competition’s Executive Director. Failure to receive advance approval for an unrelated engagement automatically DISQUALIFIES an applicant from the National Semifinals and Finals.
11. By participating in the Competition, applicants grant the Met and the Competition the absolute right and permission to take, record, use, edit, and reuse their photographs, physical likeness, voice, name and/or biographical information in connection with their participation in the Competition for use in any media, worldwide (including social media platforms), in perpetuity for any purpose whatsoever. Applicants have no right of approval or claim to compensation arising out of such use. In addition, applicants release The Met and its agents and employees from all claims, demands, losses, and liabilities whatsoever that applicants may have now or in the future in connection with any photograph and/or recording embodying some or all of their voice, name, or likeness, or their participation in the Competition or other events. Any of the audition rounds and other performances or appearances by applicants in connection with the Competition, concerts, or other events may be exploited by the Competition and the Met by any means and media throughout the world in perpetuity, including by streaming, radio (including satellite radio), and all other means of audio and audiovisual distribution now or hereafter known, and may be used by the Competition, Met and Toll Brothers (and other sponsors) for promotional, fundraising and advertising purposes. Without limitation, the Laffont Grand Finals Concert may be broadcast over Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network or Sirius Satellite Radio. Applicants do not receive any compensation for their participation in any recording of the Competition or concerts, or any exploitation of thereof as herein described, and by participating in the Competition, applicants waive any claims to any compensation. Applicants’ performance in any audio and audiovisual materials produced or created by the Competition will be a work for hire for the Met and the Competition and if for some reason same is not considered a work for hire, applicants assign to the Met and the Competition all rights therein throughout the world in perpetuity.
12. The Met may cancel, delay or otherwise modify any and all portions of the Competition in its sole discretion, including for reasons beyond its control such as epidemics, work stoppages, fires, war, government regulations, acts of terrorism, riots, rebellions, explosion, flood, storm, Acts of God and similar occurrences, and the Met shall not be liable for any such cancellation, delay or other modification.
13. Any misrepresentation on the application will be cause for disqualification without benefit of appeal. All disqualifications are in the Met’s sole and absolute discretion and will require that prize money be returned.
COVID-19 Liability Waiver
While The Metropolitan Opera (the “Met”) is working closely with medical and public health experts and taking measures to enhance the safety of its visitors, artists, and staff, an inherent risk of contracting COVID-19 and other contagious diseases exists in any public space. In order to participate in The Metropolitan Opera Laffont Competition (the “Competition”), all applicants are required to read and accept the following waiver.
By participating in the Competition, I agree to comply with all health and safety protocols implemented by the Met, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local rules and guidelines, and I agree that:
- The Met cannot guarantee that I will not be exposed to and contract COVID-19 or other contagious diseases, and all those entering the Competition do so at their own risk.
- I accept the risk of being exposed to, contracting, and/or spreading COVID-19 or other contagious diseases along with all related consequences. I agree that this waiver means I give up all right to bring any claims, including but not limited to claims of negligence.
- Participation in the Competition is conditioned upon compliance with health and safety protocols. Applicants who do not follow applicable protocols may be disqualified.
- This contract will be governed by the laws of the State of New York.