Available: June 2018
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera oversees all production and technical details related to the development, creation, rehearsal, and performance of the opera repertory, presentations and special events, as well as the operation, maintenance, and improvements of the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses. The Production Manager is an essential part of this process by planning and tracking the various production activities required to perform grand opera in repertory.
- Collaborate with Assistant General Manager and Director of Production Operations on long range budget planning
- Collaborate with AGM and Director of Production Administration on developing creative team contract offers for New Productions, Coproductions, Rentals, and Revivals.
- Act, in collaboration with Director of Production Administration, as primary production department liason for Coproductions and rentals. Plan, create, communicate, and track production development schedules per production in collaboration with Assistant Technical Director.
- Develop and track detailed production budgets for all new productions and select repertory revivals.
- Organize and conduct production development meetings with production, artistic, and administrative personnel as needed.
- Communicate to the production team the requirements and limitations for successful repertory presentation.
- Analyze creative team design submittals and support concept development to ensure feasibility in production and repertory.
- Coordinate communication of external production teams and coproducing partners with internal production and artistic development teams.
- Participate in repertory production planning by serving on the Scheduling Committee
- Participate in the yearly budgeting process by planning and tracking individual budget lines as assigned.
- Coordinate the upkeep of the Production Information Database.
- Organize production shipping
Qualifications & Skill Requirements
- A terminal degree in Theater, Design, Engineering, Architecture, or equivalent professional experience is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical backstage operation is required.
- A solid fundamental knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, and rigging methods as well as knowledge of standard theatrical lighting techniques is essential.
- Experience with standard technical and theatrical drafting procedures is required.
- An ability to clearly communicate technical and artistic concepts in writing is essential.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize and evaluate solutions in three-dimensional space, are required.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as well as the ability to work on a team in a fast-paced, detail-oriented workplace.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the standard project management practices.
- Computer literacy is essential, including MS Office applications and Acrobat.
- Computer Aided Drafting (Autodesk AutoCAD) experience is mandatory. Experience working in a 3D drafting environment is desirable. Understanding and exposure to various other CAD/CAM programs (Nemetschek Vectorworks,) is also helpful.
- Knowledge of standard opera repertory is helpful.
Please send your resume and cover letter with "Production Manager - Production" in the subject line to:
E-Mail (Preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org