The Metropolitan Opera (the “Met”), located in Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, is one of New York’s premier cultural institutions. The Met’s foremost goal is to present the highest quality performance of the opera repertory featuring the world’s most talented artists, conductors, stage directors and designers. The Met is committed to presenting works from the broadest range of the operatic repertory; and each season it stages more than 200 performances of opera. With groundbreaking technology like Met titles, live national and international broadcasts and simulcasts, educational programs for students and aspiring singers and free concert performances, the Met endeavors to expand and educate the audience for opera by championing the accessibility of the art form and fostering its growth.
The Met seeks an experienced Head of Construction/Shop Foreman who will be directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and operation of the Construction Shop located in Lincoln Center and a satellite operation currently located in the Bronx. The Head of Construction/Shop Foreman is responsible for the production, maintenance and repair of custom scenic fabrication for the Met’s productions. This position reports to the Technical Director.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Scenery Construction Shop, both at Lincoln Center and satellite locations, ensuring the scheduled delivery of scenery and props for all Metropolitan Opera projects, productions and special events within the approved budget.
- Hire and manage I.A.T.S.E. Local One and non-union employees as needed.
- Work with the Production Engineering Department and consult on the constructionmethod and design of all production elements. Ensure the timely purchase of required materials.
- Ensure safe and efficient operations of the Scenery Construction Shops.
- Assist in the creation of the budgets for the New York Season revivals, new productions, projects and special events.
- Assist in creating and adjusting construction timelines.
- Prepare various cost analyses for new production elements, production notes, projects and special events.
- Provide recommendations for cost reductions.
- Work with Production and Finance Departments to ensure that projects remain on budget, as per allocated man days and materials.
- Ensure all shop equipment is maintained in good safe working order and make recommendations for capital purchases.
- Maintain, track and maximize the material inventory.
- Attend regular Production Department coordination meetings and participate in various committees as required (e.g. Safety Committee).
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in Theatre, Design, Engineering, Architecture or equivalent profession experience
- Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical backstage operation
- Advanced knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, and rigging methods as well as knowledge of standard theatrical lighting techniques is essential
- Experience with standard technical and theatrical drafting procedures
- Ability to clearly communicate technical and artistic concepts verbally and in writing
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize and evaluate solutions in three-dimensional space
- Ability to effectively prioritize, execute and problem solve in a high pressure environment and work efficiently within given time constraints
- Self-motivated, team-oriented and highly collaborative work style.
- Computer proficiency, including MS Office applications and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat
- Computer-aided drafting (Autodesk AutoCAD) experience is mandatory. Experience working in a 3D drafting environment is desirable. Understanding and exposure to various other CAD/CAM programs (Nemetschek Vectorworks, Bently Microstation) is helpful
- Knowledge of standard opera repertory a plus
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, including “Head of Construction/Shop Foreman” in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org