Available: May 2018
The Director of Ticketing & Customer Service for the Metropolitan Opera drives policy, standards, and accountability for a world-class customer service operation. This role is a critical member of the Sales & Marketing team, and provides leadership of the Customer Service team in carrying out all functions in the most efficient way possible. The Director is responsible for maximizing the use of Tessitura across the organization, focusing on a CRM strategy that maximizes sales and donations through analysis of customer insights.
- Lead the Customer Care team in serving every customer efficiently, with a focus on maximizing ticket sales and donation revenue to achieve the Met’s institutional goals.
- Provide Met audience members across all performances and programs with an exceptional customer service experience.
- Ensure that the Customer Care team is equipped with necessary tools to carry out their core functions, and with information about all current Met performances, programs, and activities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Marketing team and members of Local 751 (Box Office) and Local 210 (Call Center) in all daily operations.
- Design and facilitate regular collaborative communication between Customer Care and fellow Met departments.
- Determine ongoing needs of both team and individuals to continue to develop in their professional capacities.
Technology & Applications
- Manage support of the Tessitura application, including support of external users.
- Work with the Application Support team to interpret organization needs and requests, prioritize requests, and implement standard and required changes and modifications.
- Test and go live with all new Tessitura application releases.
- Leader internal processes regarding enhancement requests, version testing, and system upgrades.
- Encourage utilization of on-going training programs using network resources.
- Ensure optimal website transaction functionality, and make recommendations for improved user experience.
- Work with web vendors and internal website team to implement project changes for annual ticketing programs.
Customer Service Policy & Training
- Design and implement customer-centric policies that ensure optimal service and efficiency for both Met audience and staff.
- Manage customer relationships, problem resolution, and deliver service to the internal and external customer base for the Met and ABT.
- Identify opportunities to enhance processes and procedures within the department.
- Create and implement plans to address and resolve instances of customer friction or dissatisfaction.
- Serve as the internal ambassador for audience members, constantly aiming to improve service from all departments.
- Develop comprehensive plans for training the entire customer care staff.
- Support organizational Tessitura training.
Order Fulfillment: Ticketing, Membership, and Subscription
- Manage the staff directly responsible for fulfilling ticket orders from inception to mailing for the Met and ABT.
- Work with the Marketing Department and Box Office to ensure that ticket fulfillment processing remains within the mail plan and box office guidelines.
- Coordinate interdepartmental processes in order to ensure smooth workflows.
- Create subscription timeline in order to coordinate seating process with mail plan and box office functions to avoid processing delays, including any subscriber requests, renewals, and changes.
- Ensure sound processes for all data entry of membership gifts and ticket orders, while ensuring consistent constituent records and high data integrity.
Inbound Customer Care
- Work with the Call Center and Donor Relations Director to properly implement all marketing programs and ticket sales plans for Met and ABT.
- Ensure that all Inbound Call Center representatives receive materials and project plans for any new initiatives.
- Analyze calling patterns, review statistics, recommend upselling incentive programs, and verify the department is adequately staffed to meet organizational goals.
- Support and answer all web store customer inquiries.
- Integrate Tessitura API and web shop transactions and make adjustments when required.
- Responsible for Met Opera Guild reporting and auditing.
- Support Opera News initiatives.
- Participate in new system development and procedure design and implementation.
- Work on special projects, ie. Met Opera Shop system selection and integration, MOoD integration, Live in HD, Met Opera Guild projects, etc.
- Collaborate with various departments on projects as needed.
- Provide KPMG with all audit requests and make necessary adjustments to process to conform to audit requirements.
- Review and evaluate all customer order forms and marketing mailing pieces and identifying areas for improvement.
- Create procedures that will provide other departments with productive information.
- Responsible for managing Pay and Non-pay department budgets.
- Make process recommendations as required.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- BA degree or equivalent.
- 5-7 years of supervisory experience with a large, high producing, customer-focused team.
- Skills in negotiating between multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills, and an ability to institute organizational systems that span a large department.
- Complete understanding of Tessitura and all its modules/business processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and written skills required.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work well with all personality types.
- On call 24/7 for system management.
The national search for this role is being conducted on behalf of the Met by arts consultant and recruiter Tom O’Connor. To apply, please email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com (note: .co) with “Met Director of Ticketing and Customer Service” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.