The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of the opera repertory, the coordination of presentations and special events, the operation and maintenance of, as well as improvements to the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses.
The Assistant Technical Director is an experienced theatrical professional who provides direct support to the Technical Director with the management of the Production Engineering, Construction Shop and Scenery Shop operations.
- Under the direction of the Technical Director, plan and manage the Production Engineering, Construction Shop and Scenic Shop operations ensuring the scheduled delivery of scenery and props within the approved budget.
- Draft and maintain the plans, sections and documentation associated with productions, projects and special events.
- Attend assigned rehearsals.
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and the Safety Director, implement and monitor safety programs.
- Act as Technical liaison for outside presentations, rentals and special events as assigned.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- A degree in Theater, Design, Engineering, or equivalent professional experience is required.
- At least five years of post-collegiate experience required, including strong managerial experience
- Experience overseeing scenic construction process at an in-house shop preferred
- Knowledge and experience with technical backstage operations is required.
- Knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, rigging and theatrical lighting is essential.
- Experience with technical and theatrical drafting procedures is required.
- Computer literacy is essential, including MS Office and Autodesk applications.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Assistant Technical Director" in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com