The Metropolitan Opera Children's Chorus is a program for children who want to enrich their musical learning experience through participation in an Operatic Music Appreciation Program. It also provides the opportunity for children to audition for a singing role in the Met's productions. Boys and girls between the ages of seven (7) and ten (10) years are invited to apply for an audition in order to gain entrance into the Children's Chorus program.
There is no fee for a child to participate in this program. However, even though participation is voluntary, it is expected that the child will attend classes that are held twice per week as follows:
- Beginners' Class meets on Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 4:00 pm to 4:45 pm or on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 4:00 pm to 4:45 pm, as assigned by the Director.
- Intermediate Class meets on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Advanced Class meets on Friday afternoons from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm and on Saturday afternoons from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm.
Classes meet on a twice-weekly basis from early September through mid-May.
Children in the Advanced Class only are permitted to audition for a singing role in productions. When a child is invited to perform in a production, the parents will be asked to commit to the child's attendance at all costume fittings, rehearsals and performances, except for reasons of illness.
The Met performs on Monday through Saturday nights and on Saturday afternoons. Operas are rarely repeated on successive nights; instead, an opera may be performed two or three times in a week and may run for four or six weeks of performances.
For each production there are usually five or six studio rehearsals held after school, evenings or Saturdays, followed by an equal number of onstage rehearsals – weekdays between 9:30am and 4:30pm – scheduled in compliance with New York State child labor law.
The audition criteria are a love of singing, an outgoing personality and a strong voice that sings in tune with clear words. Previous vocal training or experience isnot required. The set selection is “Happy Birthday”, for which piano accompaniment will be provided. There will also be an ear test.
- All applicants should arrive promptly, as latecomers cannot be heard once their allotted time has commenced.
- The deadline for submitting an application is Friday, March 30, 2018 at 6:00 pm ET. No applications will be accepted after that date.
- After the close of the application period the Met will send an email with an audition appointment.
- Address all inquiries to email@example.com