Participation in the Metropolitan Opera (Met) National Council Auditions is subject to the following governing regulations:
1) Applicants must be within the following ages:
20 – 30 years old for all voice types from August 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015
*PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR THE 2014-2015 SEASON, YOUR BIRTH DATE MUST FALL ON OR BETWEEN AUGUST 1, 1984 – JULY 31, 1994 IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE ELIGIBLE TO AUDITION
2) Past auditioners (except those who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semi-Finals) may re-enter District auditions as new applicants. Singers may enter a District audition only once per season. Former first place Region winners who have twice won first place Region awards are no longer eligible to compete.
3) Present or former singers on the Metropolitan Opera Roster, and current season members of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus, Extra Chorus or current employees of the Metropolitan Opera staff are ineligible to audition.
4) Citizens of countries other than the United States (U.S.) and Canada must show proof of one-year residency, or proof of full-time enrollment, in a university or conservatory in the U.S. or Canada before being permitted to enter a District audition. We are required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens.
5) Applicants may enter any one District audition regardless of whether they are a resident of the area. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners.
6) An official pianist will be provided at no charge to the applicant. The applicant may provide his/her own pianist, if desired, at his/her own expense.
7) Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions prizes are paid by check. Prize winners will be required to complete necessary tax paperwork in order to claim their prizes. The Met will make any and all tax withholdings required by law. Most National Council prizes will be processed through Metropolitan Opera payroll in New York, and therefore will not be available to contestants on the day of the competition.
8) The Metropolitan Opera National Council Grand Finals Concert may be broadcast over Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network or Sirius Satellite Radio. Contestants do not receive any compensation for their participation in such a competition or concert. AGMA and AFTRA have agreed to waive their usual payment requirements.
9) The purpose of District winner awards is to defray your costs of participating in the Region Finals. If you choose not to participate in your Region Finals, you may be asked to return your District audition prize money.
10) To be eligible to enter the auditions, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to the Metropolitan Opera National Council for the following:
a.) your respective District and Region audition dates;
b.) arrival in New York, NY on Thursday, March 12, 2015 through the National Semi-Finals on Sunday, March 15, 2015;
c.) preparation for the National Grand Finals Concert from Monday, March 16, 2015 through Sunday, March 22, 2015.
Participation in non-Met related professional engagements or competitions is not permitted during the times specified in a), b) and c) above, unless approved IN ADVANCE by the Executive Director of Auditions. Failure to receive advance approval for an unrelated engagement automatically DISQUALIFIES you from the National Semi-Finals and Finals.
11) Any misrepresentation on the application will be cause for disqualification without benefit of appeal.