National Council Auditions
The 2015-2016 application will be available to download or complete online in August 2015.
Applicants may choose to enter any District audition across the country regardless of whether they are a resident of the area. District winners must compete in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners. Because we allow singers to audition in the National Council District of their choice, there will be certain unavoidable instances when a panel includes a judge with a connection to one or more contestants. While we work to avoid this situation, please be assured that judges are required to recuse themselves from deliberations about singers with whom they have previously worked.
Application deadlines for the National Council Auditions are determined by local Districts and Regions. Please refer to the Regional Contact Information section for the audition dates and deadlines for your area. District auditions usually occur October through February with the winners advancing to the Region Finals, which are generally held during the same months. The National Semi-Finals and Grand Finals Concert will take place in New York City at the Metropolitan Opera House in the spring on the following dates:
|For the 2015-2016 season:
|Arrival in New York for Semi-Finalists
||Thursday, March 3, 2016
||Sunday, March 6, 2016
|National Grand Finals Concert
||Sunday, March 13, 2016
For information about audition dates & deadlines and who to contact in your area, please refer to the Regional Contact Information section of this site.
Please contact the National Council office with any questions at:
Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions
30 Lincoln Center
New York, New York 10023
Applications must include the following:
- Completed application form and Governing Regulations form with candidate's signature which varifies the eligibility requirements for the current season. Applications submitted online include an electronic signature of these regulations. Unsigned applications will not be accepted.
- Copy of legal proof of age such as a driver’s license, copy of birth certificate or passport.
- Non-refundable application fee of $30.00 - U.S. Dollars only. Please visit the payment page for information specific to your District. The application is not complete until payment has been received.
- A one-page résumé in PDF format and digital photo in JPG or PDF formats only.
- Applicants who are not citizens of the United States or Canada must provide proof of residency or full-time enrollment in a college or university in the United States or Canada for the duration of the audition season.
Please retain a copy of your completed application, including the signed Governing Regulations, for your records. A copy of this will be e-mailed to you if you have applied online.
Where to send your application:
Please send your completed application to the appropriate Region or District contact person listed under Regional Contact Information. Do not send your application to the National Council Auditions office at the Metropolitan Opera.
Recordings and videotapes may not take the place of a live audition; please do not include them with your application.
The 2015-2016 application will be available in August 2015.