Director of Graphic Design
Marketing & Communications
Responsible for the creation, presentation and implementation of design concepts for the Met Opera brand, season, and other institutional needs.
Creative direction — creates and presents design concepts to Creative Director and other senior management regarding season (repertory and new productions), related Met events and other institutional needs.
Design oversight — oversees the execution of all design initiatives for online, offline, digital media, print and other assigned projects.
Brand supervision — provides strategic input and implements consistent branding across the institution. Develops strategy for sub-branded programs (Live in HD, Opera Shop, etc.). Responsible for the creation of institutional graphics Style Guide, as well as for any additions/alterations to the identity.
Collaboration — works with Met staff in marketing, editorial/press, development, web site, house management, merchandising, and other departments to support strategic and business goals of the Met. Works with the management of other departments to address their graphic design issues/needs, while integrating these into the institutional look/style. Works with Director of Marketing Services to enhance internal client relationships.
Leadership — senior member of the design team, assigning, overseeing and leading staff and freelance designers’ work and reviewing and approving design and concepts to ensure timely, on-budget delivery of all design projects.
Production oversight — works with Director of Marketing Services to review printer’s proofs for color accuracy, advise on retouching of photography, and identify financial economies-of-scale.
Maintains roster of freelance and consultant talent.
Determines mechanical standards and protocols for document release.
Monitors capacity of graphic servers, archiving when necessary.
Stays aware of, and suggests necessary hardware/software upgrades.
Designs/monitors electronic document filing system.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- 10+ years of progressive experience with 5+ years experience managing an in-house graphics department, preferably in the media and not-for-profit industries.
- Degree in Graphic Design (Bachelor’s or Master’s) required.
- Must have substantial portfolio and be able to document effectiveness of designs.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Mac software, including all Adobe CS5 software. Web design knowledge a plus. Knowledge of PowerPoint helpful.
- Must be able to work under pressure, maintain tight deadlines and juggle many projects simultaneously—all with a sense of humor and passion for the business.
- Superior ability to communicate across teams and between all Met departments to inform and influence best practices in design.
- Interest in the performing arts a must. Knowledge of opera a big plus.
- Occasional late nights and/or weekends required.
Please send your resume with a cover letter.