Available: April 2016
The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of the opera repertory, the coordination of presentations and special events, the operation and maintenance of, as well as improvements to the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses. The Technical Director is an essential part of this process by directing the technical operations of the opera house and ensuring that the technical requirements of the opera productions are carried out as safely, efficiently, and effectively as possible.
- Direct the development of the technical aspects of opera productions to ensure safe, efficient, and effective handling of each production in repertory.
- Direct the heads of department in the coordination of stage and shop operations for the day-to-day activities of rehearsals and performance.
- Oversee the maintenance and repair of stage equipment and machinery.
- Collaborate with the Production Manager on production schedule planning.
- Contribute to the upkeep of the Production Information Database by tracking revisions and changes to repertory documentation.
- Participate in repertory production planning by serving on the Scheduling Committee.
- Participate in the yearly budgeting process by planning and tracking individual budget lines as assigned.
- Remain abreast of current and developing industry standards and guidelines regarding the safety of stage operations.
- In collaboration with the Safety Director develop, implement and monitor safety protocols, procedures and training programs for routine stage operations as well as specific operations related to performance, (e.g. aerial performances, special effects, work at height, etc).
- Provide assistance to the Production Coordinator with scheduling, manpower, and budgeting for presentations and special events.
- Capital Projects
- Participate in the planning of the Capital Project program.
- Act as project manager on selected projects as assigned.
Qualifications and skill requirements
- A degree in Theater, Design, Engineering, or equivalent professional experience is required.
- 5 years of experience as a TD at a major theatrical venue is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical backstage operation is required. ETCP certifications preferred.
- A solid fundamental knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, and rigging methods as well as knowledge of standard theatrical lighting techniques is essential.
- Computer literacy is essential, including MS Office products.
- Experience with standard technical and theatrical drafting procedures is required.
- Familiarity with Autodesk AutoCAD is essential, additionally experience with Autodesk Inventor preferred.
- An ability to clearly communicate technical and artistic concepts in writing is essential.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize and evaluate solutions in three-dimensional space, are required.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as well as the ability to work on a team in a fast-paced, detail-oriented workplace.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the standard project management practices.
- Knowledge of standard opera repertory is helpful.
- Must be flexible, willing to help when asked.
- Excel in a demanding fast-paced environment.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, including “Technical Director” in the subject line of your e-mail.