Available: April 2017
The Press Director has primary responsibility for shaping the Met’s image through publicity, including institutional stores, stories about mainstage Met performances, and cross-departmental projects. Key components of the position include strategy and positioning for the institution as well as specific artists and productions; creative storytelling and implementation of press campaigns across a variety of traditional and non-traditional media outlets; and both responsive and proactive communications with members of the press.
- Primary point of contact for media opportunities, both proactive and reactive, related to the Met brand the company’s 200+ mainstage performances each season.
- Identifies story ideas and potential media outlets for publicity campaigns across print, broadcast, and online outlets, including relevant social media channels. Pitches stories to journalists and responds to press inquiries.
- Creates publicity strategies with outside consultants, artist representatives, and representatives from other Met departments.
- Creates and executes publicity strategies for special projects, including Gallery Met, HD: Live in Schools education program, fundraising initiatives, and partner events.
- Works closely with the General Manager and senior management team to implement agreed institutional campaigns.
- Oversees press ticketing and press duty scheduling; acts as a press representative at all first nights of operas and other important performances.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- Exceptional leadership skills and management capabilities, including the ability to work closely with individuals to foster excellence and creativity.
- Considerable experience in not-for-profit organization public relations or a closely related background, preferably with extensive media contacts.
- Strong interpersonal abilities, especially diplomatic skills.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in public relations, communications or journalism.
- Interest and knowledge of opera preferred.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Press Director” in the subject line of your e-mail.