Department: Media & Presentations
Available: February 2017
The Media Department of the Metropolitan Opera produces over 80 live radio broadcasts and 10 Live in HD transmissions per season of performances from the Met stage, distributing these performances across cinema, radio, television, digital and commercial platforms. From the Live in HD series to the Saturday matinee radio broadcasts and the Met’s own digital service, Met Opera on Demand, the Media Department oversees the production, distribution, and preservation of the Met’s annual broadcasts and extensive catalogue of program assets.
The Media Coordinator is responsible for providing both meticulous administrative assistance and hands-on production coordination in support of the Met’s diverse media initiatives. The Media Coordinator will report directly to the Assistant General Manager, Media and Associate Director, Media, who oversee all aspects of the department’s operations.
The Media Department prepares and produces live broadcasts on a weekly basis during the Met season. The Media Coordinator is responsible for:
- Development and maintenance of the department’s overall broadcast calendars, season schedules and program listings (including repertoire, casting, dates, performance timings)
- Distribution and communication of above (including on-going updates) within the company, to external partners and for external publication
The Media Department manages an extensive catalogue of audio and audiovisual programs going back 80+ years, and handles all license requests (clip licenses, public performance requests, etc.) relating to the Met’s program assets. The Media Coordinator is responsible for:
- Maintenance and tracking of historical information for the program catalogue (including spreadsheets and timelines)
- Receipt and processing of external licensing requests, including: timely communication and response to all requests; facilitation of internal evaluation and licensing process; status tracking of active requests through completion
- Coordination with other departments and outside partners on the processing of all licensing agreements generated and executed by the Assistant General Manager, Media
The Media Coordinator provides general administrative support for the Assistant General Manager, Media and Associate Director, Media, including:
- Communications: The Media department works with a wide range of broadcast partners, international colleagues, artists, filmmakers and producers. The Media Coordinator must have excellent and professional communication skills to represent the Assistant General Manager and the department on behalf of the Met.
- Oversee telephones, appointment scheduling and meeting coordination (including escorting guests and artists as needed to/from department)
- Traffic requests and field communications with other departments (e.g., requests for information, CD/DVD/digital copies of broadcasts, etc.)
- Department Administration:
- Coordinate meetings and communications across the department (e.g., staff meetings, events, distribution of company-wide information, etc.)
- Manage media invoices, cost actuals, expense reports
- Organize department data/information: filing systems (online and physical); trafficking materials and deliveries (mail, courier, messenger coordination); organization of office resources
- Conduct project/information research as requested for departmental reports and presentations
- Awards Submissions: Coordinate and submit annual award applications (Emmys, Grammys, etc.) and materials for eligible HD and Radio programs
The Media Coordinator provides production support for Met Presentations and Special Events (Opening Night Gala to Times Square, HD Summer Festival, etc.) and non-Met on-site film shoots and event rentals. The Media Coordinator is responsible for:
- Coordination of on-site logistics (including shoot schedules, crew calls, etc.) with external film crews and outside production teams on details of working/filming inside the opera house
- Liaising with in-house departments and staff on event details and schedules
- On-duty representation and production assistance throughout event
- Coordination and tracking of external film/location agreements, budgets and invoices
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- BA degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years prior experience in a production-driven environment
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Facility with digital databases and content management systems
- Excellent organizational skills, focus, attention to detail, and ability to self-proof
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to multi-task and work under tight deadlines
- Flexibility to work evenings and Saturday broadcasts as schedule requires
- Familiarity with opera is a plus
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Media Coordinator” in the subject line.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com