Department: Marketing & Communications
Available: December 2016
At a quick and deadline-orientated pace, the Associate Editor thinks of dynamic ways to cover Met stories and activities on multiple editorial platforms and participates actively on all levels in implementing these ideas. The Associate Editor works closely with the Managing Editor, Creative Director, design team, press and media staff, marketing department, colleagues in the artistic and development areas, and a team of freelancers and external contacts.
- Works with Managing Editor and Creative Director to conceive, commission, write, and edit content for the Met’s program books, website, and in-house publications.
- With Managing Editor’s direction, works on all aspects of the Met’s program books—including collecting and preparing materials, securing necessary internal and external approvals, and meeting daily publication deadlines.
- Edits fundraising letters and other materials for the Met’s Development department.
- Contributes to and edits e-mail blasts and other marketing materials.
- Has a dynamic, direct, and journalistic writing style in editorial content ranging from short captions to full-length features.
- Generates numerous story ideas and quickly responds to artistic developments with interesting and appropriate content.
- Edits content from freelancers and in-house staff, maintaining an active, hands-on, and collaborative relationship.
- Takes ownership of projects and confidently juggles multiple deadlines and priorities with great initiative and self-motivation.
- Understands how to talk about opera to a broader public as well as to knowledgeable operagoers.
- Maintains the highest editorial standards, ensuring that all content is effective, engaging, factually accurate, and free of errors.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- B.A. or B.F.A.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Exceptional verbal, editing, proofreading, and writing skills.
- Previous experience with not-for-profit arts environment.
- Extensive knowledge of music, opera, and the performing arts in general.
- Must be able to work with artists, producers, and all levels of management, and be able to provide detailed and accurate information quickly.
- Must be able to maintain good humor and grace in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate overtime, including evenings and weekends, and unexpected assignments.
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, examples of your work and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Associate Editor” in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com